Well, I’ve turned into the incredible shrinking woman lately. I’ve lost another 12 lbs. since my last blog post — that’s 32 lbs. so far since May! As I mentioned in my last post, this is highly unusual for me. I’d really put on a lot of weight these past few years, so losing weight for me had been nearly impossible. Until now.
So how have I lost so much weight? Well, there are the reasons I mentioned in my last post “Life after Divine Openings”, but I have something new I’ve started that has really made a difference in my weight, digestion, and overall health.
About 8 weeks ago, I just stopped digesting my food. I was super tired and weak and shaky and nothing made me feel better. You see, I had made the mistake of trying to eat lunch with some co-workers, and ate at several restaurants that weren’t offering truly gluten-free meals.
I knew I was only going to be working there for a few weeks, so I thought I’d make the most out of it and eat lunch with them as frequently as possible. Although I had a good time, I really did a number on my stomach, and I ended up kicking my Leaky Gut Syndrome into gear once again.
I immediately went online searching for a program that would work for me, and I came across a program called the Leaky Gut Cure by Karen Brimeyer, that was being promoted on The Gluten Free Society website. This was not just a special meal plan, but was an all encompassing program that included all aspects of your diet and lifestyle — a program that has improved not only my digestion, but my overall health.
This plan has been instrumental in helping me lose even more weight and has drastically improved my digestion, metabolism, and energy levels as well.
So what is Leaky Gut?
Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS) is the name given to a condition in which the ability of the intestinal wall to keep out large and undesirable molecules is reduced.
Like your skin, the intestinal lining serves as a barrier between the outside environment (food, drink, etc) and the internal environment (blood stream). When working properly, nothing harmful can get through. But when leaky gut is present, the door is open for harmful parasites, bacteria, yeast/fungi, toxins, etc. to move freely into and through the blood stream to any area of the body.
Leaky gut is like the equivalent of having holes in your skin that allow all of the bacteria and other harmful stuff straight into your body!
What are some of the causes of Leaky Gut Syndrome?
- Dietary sources (e.g., white flour, trans-fats, processed foods, processed sugar, pasteurized milk, alcohol)
- Environmental toxins (e.g., food, farming, & household chemicals)
- Chronic stress (e.g., physical, mental, & emotional)
- Dysbiosis (e.g., parasites, bacteria, & yeast)
- and Medications (NSAIDS, antibiotics, & birth control pills)
What are some of the common symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome?
- Chronic fatigue
- Weight loss resistance
- Chronic headaches, muscle and joint pain
- and Irritable Bowel Syndrome
What will the Leaky Gut Cure Diet and Program do for you?
The only way to get rid of your chronic symptoms is to heal your leaky gut. You have to give your body the right foods that it needs to supply the necessary building blocks for healing, and stop feeding it foods that are causing the problems and making everything worse.
Here are some of the highlights of the Leaky Gut Cure program:
- First, every action item that you incorporate into your diet and lifestyle is itemized out, day by day, so you can slowly ease into the program (and don’t become overwhelmed by having to change everything all at once).
- It’s only a 10 week program, so it’s very do-able (and if I can do it, anyone can!)
- You eat frequently, so you are never hungry (you should go no longer than 2-3 hours without food).
- The diet includes mostly proteins and non-starchy vegetables with healthy fats (e.g., coconut oil).
- You eat moderate amounts of protein at every meal (3-5 oz). All the animal protein you eat on the Leaky Gut Cure program must be lean, hormone-free, and preservative-free, and the animals must be fed a grain-free diet.
- You eat according to your metabolic type (e.g., there is a checklist that helps you choose which of these food combinations you prefer and stick to that ratio for every meal throughout the program: 1) Protein type: high protein/low carb, 2) Carb type: high carb/low protein, or 3) Mixed type: equal amounts of each).
- You must stay completely away from those foods which have been recommended to avoid, along with any other determined food allergies for the length of the program.
- There is a muscle-testing video that explains how you can muscle test yourself to figure out which foods you are sensitive to.
- There is a 4-day food rotation plan to follow to ensure you don’t get any new food sensitivities.
- There are different checklists for you to complete to check for adrenal stress and pathogens.
- There are several different supplement packages depending on what your needs are — available at discounted pricing (e.g., supplements for possible pathogens, adrenal stress, gut healing, etc.)
- There are food checklists to take to the store with you to help you plan your meals.
- And the program also recommends adding stress-relievers like meditation and low-impact exercise into your lifestyle, as stress is a leading contributor to Leaky Gut.
This is by-far the most comprehensive program I’ve ever seen for Leaky Gut Syndrome. I’m so impressed by the results I’ve seen so far, that I’ve become an affiliate for the Leaky Gut Cure Program.
The diet plan is very straightforward and easy to follow, and I haven’t had any problems implementing the recommendations. That is saying a lot, since I’m not really a big fan of cooking, and I really liked having packaged snacks that I can easily eat on the run.
The one thing that I think is really helping me not only feel better, but also lose so much weight, is the reduction of grains and the increase in animal protein. Up until a year ago, I was a vegan and not eating any animal protein at all. I ate so many grains that I was always feeling tired and bloated. Now I’m looking lean and feeling better than ever!
The Gluten Free Society (where I found out about the Leaky Gut Cure) recommends that everyone with gluten sensitivity/intolerance should go to a completely “grain free” diet, since there is gluten in all grains, not just wheat, barley, rye, and spelt. They claim the only true gluten free diet is one that is completely “grain free”.
I think if you are on a gluten free diet and still are not feeling well, it’s probably because you have Leaky Gut Syndrome, so I recommend trying this diet first and see if your symptoms go away. If after 10 weeks on the Leaky Gut Cure diet, you are not feeling better, you might want to switch to a grain free diet.
Anyway, I really love the results I’m getting from this program: more energy, continued weight loss, less inflammation, better digestion, more regularity, and overall better health.
If you are having any digestion problems at all, or any of these leaky gut symptoms: arthritis, asthma, allergies, bloating, gas, constipation, chronic fatigue, gluten/dairy intolerance, joint pain, adrenal fatigue, thyroid problems, eczema, poor memory, recurrent colds & flu, headaches, etc., I highly recommend the Leaky Gut Cure Program. It’s very affordable, completely downloadable, and incredibly easy to do.
Next post, I’ll be sharing with you some of the easy to prepare foods I’ve been eating on the program. Plus, I’ll share some of the holiday recipes that I’ll be modifying for Thanksgiving to make them more Leaky Gut-friendly.